Tides Institute and Museum of Art Artist-In-Residence Program for Visual, Digital, and Printmaking Artists
StudioWorks at the Tides Institute and Museum of Art offers residency opportunities to visual artists and printmakers to deepen and develop their practice within a community setting at a ground floor print shop located within our historic downtown and working waterfront community of Eastport, Maine. The residency provides a unique experience for an artist to create within a public context and play an active role in our creative community.
Eastport, Maine, is located within an ‘artsipelago’ of communities along the international border between the Province of New Brusnwick, Canada and State of Maine, USA. The StudioWorks program mission, supported by a national award from
ARTPLACE, is to place the arts in the center of the community, utilizing the arts and artists to foster, engage, and create a vital and vibrant downtown.
• Beginning March 15, 2013, up to 12 weeks, minimum 1 month
• Average number of artists in residence at a time: 1
• Open application for artists in the media of photography, digital photography, traditional and digital printmaking, drawing, letterpress printmaking, installation or a mix of these media
• Eligibility information:
The StudioWorks residency program is open to professionally established US and non-US visual artists. Residencies occur
throughout the year.
• Application deadline:
January 15, 2013. One deadline for all residencies during 2013.
Earliest start date of residency:
March 15, 2013. Please specify in your application your preferred month(s) of residency.
Facilities & Services:
• Housing: Studio apartment, with kitchenette in historic 1800’s cape.
• Meals: meals not provided.
• Computer/internet access: Internet connection provided.
• Companions: Generally residency is for artist only. Accommodations for spouse or family members can be arranged under certain circumstances. Room and board arrangements for family and guests are the responsibility of the artist.
• Accessibility: housing/studios are accessible.
• Studios/special equipment: Traditional and digital printmaking equipment; Ettan etching press—12 w x 24 l in.; Takach etching press—24 w x 36 l in.; Vandercook No. 4 letterpress; a 6×9 Sigwalt tabletop letterpress; a Line-OScribe tabletop letterpress; a Nolan tabletop proof press; a 34-inch Toulmin board shear, and considerable quantity of wood and metal type. Other equipment includes an Epson Expression 10000XL (17 x 22) photo scanner; 21.5″ iMac (3.2 GHz) with OS X Lion; Adobe CS6; Epson 3880 (17-inch) color printer.
• Other: Smoking is not permitted in the studios, housing or TIMA. Travel cost, travel and accident insurance and all materials costs are the responsibility of the applicant. Applicants from foreign countries are also responsible for acquiring appropriate visas, travel documents and arranging for shipment of their artwork. Phone and personal living expenses are also the responsibility of each resident during his/her stay.
Stipend: $2,500 per month
Tides Institute and Museum of Art
43 Water Street
Eastport, ME 04630